The Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vanity or Peer Pressure?

Vanity or Peer Pressure?

Tomorrow is spring day and there is a buzz in the office all the ladies are quite excited about it.


However there is one drawback, what to wear. Everyone is lamenting with the coming of summer. All the weight gain during the winter period. We can no longer hide behind the big coats and jackets. It's funny because during winter people were ordering all kinds of food and eating at all hours of day. Some of the excuses were that they were hungry and sometimes they needed to keep warm.


There is a real frenzy in the office as it's now dawning that summer is here and all their summer clothes no longer fit. So what to wear tomorrow? Many are going to buy an outfit to wear for Spring Day. I myself not sure if i want to wait till tonight, only to find out I have nothing to wear, so perhaps by 15h00 i should have decided whether or not to buy something to wear.


My office is on the 4th floor of the building and as it's lunch time we all just making suggestions about what one should be doing to lose the winter weight. A lady comes in and starts tellling us about a Chinese's cellulite gel. According to her her there are quite a number of people in the building using this gel. She says it burns like hell, and the pain starts as soon as you apply it. According to her this burning is the cellulite burning from the inside. The group has they mouths wide open. The prospect of lossing the cellulite is great, but the pain...


I was very keen to hear a testimonial from the one person i know that is using it. I call reception to ask to be put me through to her. The receptionist tells me she has done out for lunch. Luckily she got the message i was looking for her and comes to the 4th floor. She says it burns and she stopped use just after two weeks.


There is so much pressure out there to look a certain way. Am not sure we can continue to blame the media for glamorising skinny people. I mean we are after all grown up. Or can we be allowed to cave into the peer pressure around us?


I for one have not reached my idea size. I use size because weight is a depressing issue to try and control. Just yesterday I related my story of the size 27 jeans. These jeans have sentimental value. Ok here is the story : when i was first year i got a date with a guy I "knew" but never had a chance to meet in person. The digital age mos, we met through the varsity chat room. Anywho, during the week we set up a date to meet. On that saturday i woke up at 6am to fix my hair. At 9am I realised i didnt have anything to wear... yes this happens quite a lot. So i decided i needed to go out an outfit from the mall. It took me just 15mins from Akasia to Mimoso Mall. Then i met the jeans that i fall in love with, a pair of Soveit's . I met the love of my life wearing these jeans.


Enjoy Spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment