The Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Keeping Abreast of the Competition

For better or for worse...
 I need to put something straight. LZK alluded that when I meet a guy, I’m looking for a husband. Men out there, be assured, that is not the case. When I met my husband, I was neither looking for a boyfriend nor a husband. I live in a university town and was just looking for a friend. Someone my age. I didn’t work at the university so…

My husband was definitely not looking for a girlfriend either; never mind a wife… I guess we both just wanted to find a good friend… The rest is as they say HISTORY!

Marriage can be sooo taboo with young fellows. So let’s just demystify this subject for a while. My friend sent me an email this morning about how men choose their wives. Read below:

“A man wanted to get married. He was having trouble choosing among three likely candidates. He gives each woman a present of ZAR 5,000 and watches to see what they do with the money.

The first does a total make over. She goes to a fancy beauty salon gets her hair done, new make up and buys several new outfits and dresses up very nicely for the man. She tells him that she has done this to be more attractive for him because she loves him so much. The man was impressed.

The second goes shopping to buy the man gifts. She gets him a new set of golf clubs, some new gizmos for his computer, and some expensive clothes. As she presents these gifts, she tells him that she has spent all the money on him because she loves him so much. Again, the man is impressed.

The third invests the money in the stock market. She earns several times the ZAR 5,000. She gives him back his ZAR 5,000 and reinvests the remainder in a joint account. She tells him that she wants to save for their future because she loves him so much. Obviously, the man was impressed.

The man thought for a long time about what each woman had done with the money he'd given her. Then, he married the one with the biggest bums (or breasts – some are boob guys). Men are like that, you know. You can never tell what they base their judgment on.”

So… I was just curious, what kind of things do women consider when looking for a husband? Also, what do you women think men want from you?

3 comments:

  1. I always thought marriage was to happen like a fairytale, yes me, lol, ja we all do, we were kids and watch cinderella and snow white blah blah blah, so when you enter in to the real world, no fairytales, no shining kinght on a white horse, non of the "fairytale" life. Bumper! But I still dont know why some women go ovreboard on everythin? They prepare themselves for anything, while some guys just wana have fun? I dont know? Women are more matured than men, i think...I think im still scared for love, coz I had too much sadness in that department, but when i do find "true love" how do you know...how do you feel it in your heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well yeah Anonytmous! that fairytale things gets squashed soon enough... my life didn't take the romantic journey i thought it would take. but that is fine. i would be careful to say that "women are more matured than men" as that really depends on your circumstance and the people around you. it's the opposite where i am right now!

    what i've learnt is that it's important to have a personal plan. it's also important to make room for disruptions to that plan. but having said all of that don't deviate from your plan. i'm a romantic at heart and i've learnt to be resilient in the face of pain and hurt. there are no easy answers to your questions... but a lot of hard thinking about who you are and what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I married someone that I felt comfortable with, I could go out with him wearing just anything and he was okay with it. I didn't have to go to extremes to impress him, never really had to dress up to meet him and that for me, was the determining factor. He was/is interested in me, the person, not my hair or my clothes or the title that comes before or after my name!!

    ReplyDelete